Recreation - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I volunteer to coach? What are the requirements?
Anyone wishing to coach any youth activity must complete the Recreation Commission's requirements.  Coaching requirements can be found here.

Where can I hold a family reunion? Where can I hold a birthday party?
Is the Zoo open at Van Saun Park? Is the train running at Van Saun Park?
Is a fee charged to play tennis at Van Saun Park?
Are there any public swimming pools in the area?

Call the Bergen County Parks Commission at (201) 336-7275

Do you have a hall to rent?

No, but one of the Fire Companies located on Farview Avenue does. You can reach them by calling (201)712-0286.

Are ball fields available for use?

Based on availability soccer, softball & baseballs fields will be rented to groups that are not affiliated with the Paramus Recreation Department. Besides a fee, insurance listing the Borough of Paramus as well as the Paramus Recreation Commission as being additionally insured for the specific event/date will be required.

Click here for field rental policy and fees.

How can I sign up for Little League or Babe Ruth Baseball?

The Recreation Department does not oversee any of the baseball programs here in town. Parents needing information about T-Ball, Little League or Babe Ruth will need to contact the Paramus Junior Baseball League at (201)444-6788.

Do you offer golf lessons? What are the hours for the Miniature Golf Course?
No, but the pro at the Paramus Municipal Golf Course does. Call the golf course at (201)447-6079 for any questions concerning golf including the miniature course.

Can non-residents join the pool?
Yes, but you need to call the Paramus Pool Department at (201)265-2100 extension 6140.

Can non-residents take part in Paramus Recreation Programs?
My grandson is staying with me for the summer, can I sign him up for playground?

The answer to both of these questions is no. Paramus Recreation programs are only for those who live in Paramus. Visiting relatives and friends will not be accepted into any of the Recreation Department's programs.

Where are there public tennis courts in Paramus? Do you offer tennis lessons?
The Borough maintains two tennis courts at the Cliff Gennarelli Sports Complex. They are open daily from dawn to 10 p.m. except for when a Paramus Recreation programs are held. Permits are not required. First come, first serve.

The tennis courts located at the High School are under the jurisdiction of the Paramus Board of Education. Questions concerning the high school courts should be directed to the Board of Education at (201)261-7800.

Where is the Cliff Gennarelli Sports Complex? Where is Reid Park? Where is Mele Park?

Click here for a list of directions for all parks and schools where our programs take place.

Do you offer soccer in the Spring?
No, we offer soccer in the Fall and as well as in the Winter. Those seeking to play soccer all year round should contact Lou Hegyi of the Paramus Spartans Soccer Club. He can be reached at (201)456-0934. The Spartans are a private club and are not affiliated with the Recreation Department.

Do you have a youth roller hockey program?
Since there is not enough interest amongst Paramus youth to support Paramus Roller Hockey Teams, we have joined forces with the Wildcats Roller Hockey Association that is based out of Westwood. All of the Wildcats practices and home games are held at Petruska Park in Paramus. Contact the Wildcats by going to their website at