The Building Department is responsible for issuing all construction permits in accordance with the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. The Code states, “A building or structure shall not be constructed, extended, repaired, removed, renovated, altered or reconstructed…” without construction permits except for ordinary repairs.
The process for obtaining permits, approvals and variances can involve several different departments. If you require any assistance, please contact the Building Department at (201) 265-2100 Ext. 2230.
THE CONSTRUCTION PERMIT APPLICATION
Construction permit applications can be obtained at the Building Department. Submittals generally include applicable UCC subcode forms, small construction, jacket, specifications, and one set of plans for each subcode. A survey may be required indicating location of work to be performed. Drawings should be signed and sealed by a NJ Licensed Architect or Engineer. If the homeowner is the contractor of a one-family owner–occupied home, all drawings submitted are to be signed and dated by the homeowner. A Zoning Review application plus fees may apply.
SITE WORK PERMITS
Site work permits are required for patios, walkways, driveways, generators, air conditioners, and pool equipment. A completed site work application must be submitted along with a jacket and survey, not older than 20 years old, indicating the location of the improvement and setbacks.
Please remember to call (800) 272-1100 or 811 before you dig for mark-out locations of underground utilities.
CONSEQUENCES OF WORKING WITHOUT A REQUIRED PERMIT
Building permits are required to ensure that your project is constructed using approved building material and methods. Any work performed without a permit may be subject to the following:
- Work performed without a permit may be subject to zoning approval, variances or planning board approvals. If these approvals/variances are denied you may be required to remove the constructed improvement.
- Penalties and/or fines of $2000 per violation.
- Insurance related claims may not be paid by your carrier.
AREAS WHERE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED
- Above or in-ground swimming pools
- Bathroom renovations
- Chimney liner
- Demolition of homes, pools or structures
- Electrical service or panels
- Front Porch
- Furnace or Boiler
- Generators @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Lawn Sprinklers
- New Homes
- Oil tank removal, abandonment or installation
- Retaining Walls
- Solar panels
- Stoves (wood or gas)
- Water heater @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>