- Affordable Housing
- Rehabilitation Program
Homeowner rehabilitation assistance programs provide funds to income-eligible homeowners to assist with the repair, rehabilitation, or reconstruction of their homes. These programs can help prevent the displacement of low-income households who otherwise may struggle to keep their home in livable conditions.
At the request of a Paramus homeowner the affordable housing department will email or mail the manual which describes the basic content and operation of the program, examines program purposes and provides the guidelines for implementing the program.
It has been prepared with a flexible format allowing for periodic updates of its sections, when required, due to revisions in regulations and/or procedures.
All code deficiencies noted in the inspection report must be corrected and rehabilitated units must be in compliance with the standards proscribed in sub-section C upon issuance of a certificate of completion or occupancy. The licensed inspector must certify any structure repaired in whole or in part with rehabilitation funds to be free of any code violations.
Paramus provides for repairs in emergency situations if the conditions are stipulated in the Operating Manual.
The rehab manual explains the steps in the rehabilitation process. It describes the eligibility requirements for participation in the program:
- Contract payments
- Cost estimating
- Funding terms and conditions
- Overall program administration
- Program criteria
- Record keeping
Applications will be processed in the order of receipt.
Rehabilitation Program Manual (PDF)
Rehabilitation Program Application (PDF)
Housing rehabilitation funds may be used only for repairs or system replacements necessary to bring a substandard unit into compliance with municipal health, safety and building codes, applicable code violations, as well as any other cosmetic work that is reasonable and deemed necessary or is related to the necessary repairs.
At least one major system must be replaced or included in the repairs, which include one of the following:
- Load bearing structural systems
- Oil tank removal
- Plumbing (including wells)
- Sanitary plumbing (including septic systems)
- Weatherization (building insulation for attic, exterior walls and crawl space, siding to improve energy efficiency, replacement storm windows and storm doors and replacement windows and doors)
The related work may include, but not be limited to the following:
- Exterior rain carrying system repair
- Exterior step repair or replacement
- Interior and/or exterior doors
- Interior and/or exterior hardware
- Interior stair repair
- Interior trim work
- Porch repair
- Wall surface repair
- Window treatment
Work not eligible for program funding includes but is not limited to:
- Conversions (basement, garage, porch, attic, etc.)
- Luxury improvements (improvements which are strictly cosmetic)
- Repairs to structures separate from the living units (detached garage, shed, barn, etc.)
If determined unsafe, stoves may be replaced. The replacement or repair of other appliances is prohibited.
Rehabilitation work performed by property owners shall not be funded under this program.
105 North Farview Avenue
Paramus, NJ 07652
Phone: 201-265-2100, ext. 2220Fax: 201-649-0740