Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The Borough of Paramus is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation or national origin is prohibited.
In order to be considered for an Internship Opportunity all applications must be submitted as a complete package. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Intern applicants must submit to the Office of the Borough Administrator prior to the semester in which the internship is to be served the following:
- Agreement on Guidelines for The Borough of Paramus Interns
- Application for Student Internship
- Authorization for Release of Personal Information
- Letter of request / requirement from students college
- Waiver of Liability
Sample Criteria for Intern Selection:
- Superior academic credentials, effective interpersonal skills, strong writing and computer skills
- Past work or applicable volunteer experience.
- Interest in or familiarity with local government, budgeting, planning, computer systems, or other applicable areas.
- Self-motivation and ability to work well with minimal supervision.
- The program is for students who have at least completed their freshman year of undergraduate school. Students continuing their education after the internship are eligible. Students who have completed their program or earned their degree are not eligible.
1. The Borough Administrator will review the application to determine if the student meets the internship program qualifications.
2. Intern applicants must be willing to serve as interns for minimum specified hours per week for eight weeks or minimum hours required by the college course in order to receive the most benefit from the Program. Students may work longer hours and weeks as directed by their college/university internship coordinators and the Borough work unit Department Heads to ensure their college requirements are met.
3. The Borough Administrator will coordinate interviews for the intern applicants the Department Head of the work unit in which the internship is to be served. The Department Head will approve or disapprove the acceptance of the intern applicant.
4. Intern applicants must successfully complete a background investigation to be accepted into the program.
5. Upon consultation with appropriate Department Heads, the Borough Administrator will place the intern in a Department with consideration given to the needs of the appropriate department, the geographic availability of the intern, and the education skills and background of the intern.
6. The Borough will attempt to accommodate all intern applicants, but there are no guarantees that everyone who applies will be approved for an internship with the Borough.
1. Interns will conform to the dress and conduct code of the Borough.
2. The Department Heads of the work unit in which the intern works will hold direct responsibility of the intern.
3. Interns will be exposed, as much as possible, to the various operations of the assigned department.
A final report will be required at the end of the internship in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the program to the student interns. (This report is in addition to any internship requirements your school may have.) The report should be three to five pages in length and should describe the internship project, actual duties performed, what was learned, the benefit of participating in the Municipal Intern Program, and any changes the intern would suggest for the program.
In order to ensure that the internship experience is as valuable as possible, interns will be evaluated much like a municipal employee in a similar position. While regular interaction and discussion with Department Heads is critical, formal evaluations will take place at the mid-point and the end of the internship.
1. I will not divulge or discuss with anyone other than appropriate Paramus personnel any information to which I might be exposed to through my internship with the Borough. This includes any operational information of the department to which I am assigned, or information concerning other Borough operations. I understand that failure to follow the guidelines can lead to dismissal from the Borough internship program.
2. I will follow the Borough policies and procedures related to the work unit to which I am assigned.
3. I understand that all notes, papers and memoranda concerning my internship must be reviewed by my Borough supervisor before any dissemination is made to my school or any instructor or person not an employee of the Borough.
4. If assigned to the Borough Police Department, I will always keep myself in a non-participant role when working with sworn personnel.
6. While performing an internship, I promise not to do anything in my personal life which would embarrass the Borough or cause a negative public perception of myself or the Borough.
7. I understand that during my internship I will be required to assist in administrative duties. I will insure that all administrative work I undertake will be completed in a proper and timely manner.
8. I understand that during my internship I am responsible to the Borough Department Head or his/her designee of the department to which I am assigned.
9. I understand that my internship can be terminated at any time without cause by the Borough Administrator and the Borough Department Head.
Agreement Must Be Downloaded, Signed By Intern and College/University Official, Upload and Attached In Order to Process This Application.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field